Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course
£175.00 – £216.00
Copy-editing and Proofreading Correspondence Course
BECOME A FREELANCE PROOFREADER AND COPY-EDITOR AND EARN £30 AN HOUR
Constantly revised and updated.
Book now and save over 50% – pay just £175 instead of £365 (UK prices)
The Chapterhouse Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course has three volumes of detailed notes, exercises and assessments. With full tutor support throughout, you can learn the skills of proofreading and copy-editing from scratch. Beginners and more experienced proofreaders and copy-editors will benefit from our thorough, step-by-step approach.
In 1991, the Chapterhouse Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course was the first proofreading correspondence course in the world. Today, we continue to train new generations of proofreaders and copy-editors.
Successful students are awarded the Chapterhouse Certificate of Competence in Proofreading and Copy-editing.
- Full tutor support during the course – and for up to two years afterwards to help you get started as a freelancer. We give practical help and advice on freelance proofreading and copy-editing, and will even help with your CV!
- How book publishing works and how you could be part of it as a freelancer or full-time publishing employee.
- How to find work with non-publishers – a huge growth market for freelancers.
- The proofreading symbols and how and when to use them.
- The art of proofreading – essential knowledge on spotting and marking errors, and on knowing how much to intervene.
- The art of copy-editing – the techniques explored, with invaluable guidance on styles of editing.
- How to get work – our tried-and-tested methods for finding work with publishers and many other organisations.
- English modules – to make sure you are confident in your English skills including grammar, punctuation and usage.
- The course has four major assessments (two each in proofreading and in copy-editing) which are marked by your tutor and returned to you with feedback.
- In addition, the course is packed with practical exercises for self-assessment, with model answers to work through at your own speed.
- An optional module on on-screen proofreading and copy-editing, with fifty pages of detailed guidance on copy-editing and proofreading using free software, and tips for working on websites – a big growth area for freelance proofreaders and copy-editors.
- In a hurry? In just ten weeks with the Chapterhouse Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course you could be qualified and earning £30 an hour working from home.
- Busy? You complete the course at your own pace taking up to a year from enrolment, so it’s ideal for busy people with other commitments.
MEET A CHAPTERHOUSE STUDENT
What’s your background? I was educated in India and taught English as a second language to deaf adults at a university there. Nowadays, I’m starting a career as a researcher in London.
Why a Chapterhouse proofreading course? I’ve done a bit of proofreading for friends’ dissertations. I thought taking the course would polish up my skills, and give me an ‘edge’ in finding work. Chapterhouse seemed like a popular institution.
Any advice for someone thinking about the course? The course is very interesting. New topics are taught with varied sets of examples, questions pop up all the time and are quickly answered. To someone who is thinking of taking the course, I would advise them to stop thinking and go ahead! You don’t lose anything when you learn, and a course like this is just amazing.