Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course
£199.00 – £235.00
Become a freelance proofreader and copy-editor and earn up to £26 an hour
COPY-EDITING AND PROOFREADING CORRESPONDENCE COURSE
May discounts: save £166 on correspondence course fees. Price reduced from £365 to just £199 (UK). *
Constantly revised and updated.
The Chapterhouse Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course has three volumes of detailed notes, exercises and assessments.
With full tutor support throughout, you can learn the skills of proofreading and copy-editing from scratch. Beginners and more experienced proofreaders and copy-editors will benefit from our thorough, step-by-step approach.
Four marked assessments (two proofreading tests and two copy-editing tests) are included in the course. These assessments are marked by our experienced tutors and returned to you with feedback.
In 1991, the Chapterhouse Proofreading and Editorial Skills Correspondence Course was the first proofreading correspondence course in the world. Today, we continue to train new generations of proofreaders and copy-editors.
After the course, you can come to us for help and advice about freelance proofreading and copy-editing for up to two years. We’ll even help with your CV!
You can take the course at your own pace. Some students complete the course in a few weeks, while others take up to a year. It’s ideal for busy people who have other commitments.
Successful students are awarded the Chapterhouse Certificate of Competence in Proofreading and Copy-editing.
- Full tutor support during the course – and for up to two years afterwards to help you get started as a freelancer.
- How book publishing works and how you could be part of it as a freelancer or full-time publishing employee.
- How to find work with non-publishers – a huge growth market for freelancers.
- The proofreading symbols and how and when to use them.
- The art of proofreading – essential knowledge on spotting and marking errors, and on knowing how much to intervene.
- The art of copy-editing – the techniques explored, with invaluable guidance on styles of editing.
- How to get work – our tried-and-tested methods for finding work with publishers and many other organisations.
- English modules – to make sure you are confident in your English skills including grammar, punctuation and usage.
- The course has four major assessments which are marked by your tutor.
- In addition, the course is packed with practical exercises for self-assessment, with model answers to work through at your own speed.
- An optional module on on-screen proofreading and copy-editing, including fifty pages of detailed guidance on copy-editing and proofreading using free software, and tips for working on websites – a big growth area for freelance proofreaders and copy-editors.
- In a hurry? This is the copy-editing and proofreading correspondence course for you. You could be qualified and earning money in just ten weeks – or up to a year if you want to take your time.
MEET A CHAPTERHOUSE STUDENT
What’s your background? I was educated in India and taught English as a second language to deaf adults at a university there. Nowadays, I’m starting a career as a researcher in London. Why a Chapterhouse proofreading course? I’ve done a bit of proofreading for friends’ dissertations. I thought taking the course would polish up my skills, and give me an ‘edge’ in finding work. Chapterhouse seemed like a popular institution. Any advice for someone thinking about the course? The course is very interesting. New topics are taught with varied sets of examples, questions pop up all the time and are quickly answered. To someone who is thinking of taking the course, I would advise them to stop thinking and go ahead! You don’t lose anything when you learn, and a course like this is just amazing.